We all may be noticed that the newer versions of Microsoft Office will save the files as default with an additional x after its old extension (eg: *.docx, *.pptx, *.ppsx, *.xlsx). They won’t be opened in the older versions (2003, XP etc.).
But what if you have only the old version in your PC ? Microsoft provides a solution for it. Here is how you can open the Newer MS Office files in the Old versions like Office 2003:
- All you need to have is a Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack allows you to open the newer version files in older versions of Microsoft Office programs. It supports:
- Microsoft Word 2000 with Service Pack 3, Microsoft Excel 2000 with Service Pack 3, and Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Word 2002 with Service Pack 3, Microsoft Excel 2002 with Service Pack 3, and Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 with Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office Word 2003 with at least Service Pack 3, Microsoft Office Excel 2003 with at least Service Pack 3, and Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 with at least Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003
Here is an excerpt from the Microsoft Download Center
By installing the Compatibility Pack in addition to Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able to open, edit, and save files using the file formats in newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint . The Compatibility Pack can also be used in conjunction with the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003, and PowerPoint Viewer 2003 to view files saved in these new formats
You can download the software from the following link for totally free!
Download Microsoft Office Compaitibility Pack (37.0MB)